This is the age of scientific achievements. Our lives have become a lot easier thanks to all the facilities and equipment we have at hand these days. We have moved on from landlines to smartphones, cassette players to playlists on your phone and from going to stores to online shopping. If all these things are being accepted, then there is no reason why you shouldn’t consider going for a beauty treatment that’s advanced as well.
When it comes to unwanted hair, we try everything at hand- shaving, waxing, using creams and threading. But none of those come without side effects and we have to keep doing them again and again. Laser hair removal treatment can solve all these problems. Many men and women are opting for laser hair removal these days and the results are good. There are several clinics and cosmetic procedure establishments which provide laser hair removal services. Before walking into one of these places, here are a few things that you should be aware of-
What is laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal is the process of hair removal with laser rays. The laser is used to target specific areas to kill the hair follicles present there. The rays also target the melanin content of the coarse dark hair. This reduces the pace of the hair growth and also lightens the new hair that grows back later. Laser hair removal is a semi-permanent method to get rid of unwanted hair. The effects can last anywhere from 6 months to a year. One needs to have 6 to 8 settings of the treatment to complete the procedure. Its almost painless and it gets done within less than half an hour. The equipment and products used are all FDA -approved, given that you go a licensed clinic.
Advantages of getting laser hair removal
- The treatment targets the hair at the follicles. So, the new hair grows very slowly. Since the laser also targets the melanin of the hair, the new hair that grows is thinner and lighter. This is a very slow process as the hair is completely damaged in the process. You can say goodbye to your razors and waxing kits for like year. Who wouldn’t like that?
- Waxing and threading is painful. But with laser hair removal, you might just feel a little tingle. That also goes away as your sessions progress.
- Many people fear that laser treatment burns skin. This isn’t true if a reputed and experienced person is handling the treatment. The laser equipment has a cooling system. Also, the appropriate cooling gels and ice packs are used to make sure that the skin isn’t damaged. You may experience some redness for a couple of hours. But that goes away. Also, the equipment is chosen on the basis of the colour and texture of your skin and hair. So, it’s a personalized process and completely safe for skin, if done properly.
- The process is in fact a long-term investment, monetarily. Though the process itself is expensive, as compared to a parlour appointment, if you calculate, it essentially saves you money in the long run. Calculate all your expenses for parlour appointments, razors, waxing gels and strips and hair removal creams. Altogether, you will see that this one set of laser hair removal is actually cheaper.
- You can get laser hair removal anywhere on your body. There are different creams for your underarms, hands and legs and different ones for you face and bikini area. Shavings sensitive areas is not recommended so there is that issue. But the laser treatment can be done anywhere and the results are painless and long lasting, even for your bikini line and face.
Things to keep in mind if you get laser hair removal done
Even though the procedure is safe and painless, there are certain things which you need to be careful about-
- When you choose your laser hair removal clinic, make sure its licenced and all the staff are certified. Check for user reviews and ratings and ask people about their experiences. A reputed clinic is going to use the right kind of equipment and technique which will ensure safe and long-lasting results.
- If you have darker skin, one thing the treatment needs to ensure is that the targeted area of skin shouldn’t get lighter. For that, the equipment and settings need to be used precisely. So, make sure your clinic analyses your skin type, colour and hair density and type before proceeding.
- If you have lighter skin, then you might notice your skin stay a bit pinkish for a couple of days. This is normal. Use ice packs and the lotions given by your clinic to bring your skin back to normal. With a bit of proper aftercare, you will notice lively, supple, smooth skin in no time.
- Invest in a clinically tested, good sunscreen once you get laser hair removal done.
- Apart from the gels or lotions provided by the clinic, don’t use any other chemical components on your targeted area, while you are in between your sessions.
- You can use an ice pack to reduce the redness in the area once you are done with your session. However, not everyone faces these issues of soreness or redness.
- You need to have patience. This whole process can take 6 to 8 weeks. Don’t give up in the middle and don’t miss your appointments if you want desirable results.
- If you have a skin condition or if you are pregnant, then you need to inform the clinic beforehand, to make sure that you are eligible for the laser treatment.
- don’t compromise on quality for monetary reasons. It’s a long-term investment and its very much worth it if you want to have smooth, hairless skin.
- You can ask for test run before you get a larger area of skin treated. Get a small targeted area under the laser treatment and wait for a week or so. If you don’t have a reaction and the area remains smooth, then consider that as a green light to go ahead. In most clinics, this test run is mandatory.
- Before you go for the procedure and even in between the sessions, do not bleach your skin. Since the laser also targets the melanin, the process might not work properly if your body hair is already lightened.
- Wearing eye protection is a must during the process because the laser rays can harm your eyes.
- Be ready for a bit of discomfort. For most people, the whole process takes 20 to 30 minutes. But it would feel like you’re being snapped by a rubber band constantly. Its not painful but irritating, to be honest. But with each session, this sensation will go away. Ask for a break if you’re getting too uncomfortable. Just know that this kind of tingle is common and completely normal during your initial sessions. It doesn’t affect the skin in any negativeway.
Just go through these points and then you can weigh your options and decide whether or not to go for it. There are many forums online where people talk about their own experiences regarding laser hair removal go through such blogs and discussion forums and be sure of your decision.